Monday 10 August 2009

Accurate Banter

An extract of some dialogue from one of the opening scenes from "The Street" from series 3 episode 3, which I think perfectly highlights the problem of Racism in today's society. A racist man called Kieran has just found out that his Boss, Maria, is black and is drinking with her at a bar. He has bought them another round of drinks and has quickly gulped some of his drink down.

Kieran: "You didn't said you were black"
Maria: "I knew it"
Kieran: "I would a thought it worth mentioning"
Maria: "Why's he drinking so fast I said to myself, because he's obviously got something to say. Something that he can't say sombre because he lacks the balls to say it sombre"

Kieran: "I don't like black women! No its not it's true it's black men i don't like, and black women,..... and black women have usually been with black men, so therefore avoid black women too. Now I'd know that I'd sooner go with an ugly white bird than a beautiful black one! No that's not true either cause you know I wouldn't see the beauty I don't see the beauty I can't see the beauty I just see the blackness."

Maria pauses for a moment

Maria: "Am I supposed to totter out of here now in high heels clutching a hacky?"
Kieran: "Whatever"
Maria: "Would you say that to a black man?"

Kieran thinks for a second

Kieran: "Possibly not"
Maria: "Certainly not!..... But I don't hate you for being a coward,..... I don't hate you for being a racist either. How can I when it's not your fault? It's born out of poverty and ignorance, it's born with bigative parents, narrow minded parents, parents who themselves have bigative narrow minded parents. How can I blame you for being a racist anymore than I can blame some homeless crippled beggar for having bad teeth?"

Maria chuckles. Kieran stares at her for a while and then quickly stands up and leaves

Maria shouts at him as he leaves: "Going so soon?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment